Crafty Rantings

I'm Crafty. I Rant. These are Crafty Rantings!

Monday, July 17, 2006

Felted Bowl Addict



In an email to my Knitting Circle and Heather who is our occasional teacher, I admitted that I am now officially a felted bowl addict. Having succeeded with the fingering weight yarn in felted bowl making (see two earlier posts today), I thought, why not try something else. I have the day off!

I took the two I used for the other bowl, the grey and light blue, and cast on. I then did another 4 rows then switched to 2 strands of a beautiful lilac. I did 3 rows in lilac then back to the grey/blue for 7 rows. I did another 2 rows of lilac then finished the bowl in blue. Looking at it I could have gotten away with 3 rows at the beginning and 5 inbetween the stripes but I can't tell you how cute this bowl is, especially in person! I LOVE IT! Since I have plenty of yarn, I am going to try making one with the 4/3/5/2/3 pattern but not today. I am hanging the felting jeans up to dry (for the second time) and calling it a knit-free day. I am working on one project I have ripped out twice and one more time and I quit.

I will be experimenting with other stripped patterns. I've succeeded in a rim then the rest of the bowl in one color and some striping. Now I will try smaller stripes. Then someday maybe I will make the stripes have spikes. Who knows. The possibilities are endless. And just so you can see the inside of the bowl (smaller stripes means carrying the yarn and fewer ends to tuck and/or cut!), I took a picture of that, too. Enjoy! I know I already AM enjoying these bowls. So much fun to make and so cute! Oh yes, one last comment... they are softer than the bowls made with other 100% wool yarn that is thicker. I love those, too, but these for gifts will be a big hit, I'm sure. So take a look inside. If you're lucky, you might end up the recipient of one of my experiments!

I can't get blogger to upload the picture of the inside of the bowl but if you look at the picture on top, you can see what it kinda looks like inside.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    they are so nice? what will you put in them? yarn? :-)

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the bowls too. I think they make nice cozies for yarn yet to be borne into something nice to wear, etc. Good job Penguin!!

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oooh those are very cute!

    :) SP

     

Post a Comment

<< Home